Healthy Living Initiatives for Oldham 2010 – 2011
Community 1st Oldham sponsors an ongoing programme of healthy living initiatives and events run by StreetGames, which is a national charity dedicated to developing doorstep sport in disadvantaged communities.
During the period from July 2010 to March 2011 the programme achieved the following:
Total number of sport sessions delivered: 1,585
Total number of participants who took part: 2,585 (1,564 new participants)
Total number of attendances: 25,829
Activities include boxing, rock climbing, netball, basketball, football and street cheer and give local youngsters the opportunity to take part in sports they may not otherwise get to try, as well as helping them to keep fit.
76 coaches and sports leaders have helped to make sports initiatives an enjoyable healthy experience for all involved.
In addition, the programme encourages local people to share their skills by helping to run the sport sessions and the total number of volunteers reached 38 with up to 1,866 volunteering hours delivered.
Community 1st Oldham is proud to provide the sponsorship to support activities and clubs in Oldham and to help make sport accessible to young people. Initiatives run by the program include:
- Enrichment sessions – multi sports opportunities in local schools
- Football skills development course – now offered by three centres in Oldham
- Cheaper access to Striker9 – some kits for the football teams have been funded
- Outdoor climbing for local ACCESS group (Alcohol, Cocaine, Cannabis, Ecstasy and Substance Services) – helping make positive lifestyle changes among young people aged 16-24
- Boxing sessions – Failsworth boxing club had its first winner and will be sending him to more contests
- Netball leagues and coaching
- Trampoline sessions – a hit among young kids who love to do demonstrations
- Discounts for the Oldham Climbing Club mobile climbing tower and indoor climbing – two volunteers have been sponsored to access Mountain Leader Training England (MLTE) Single Pitch Award training
- Basketball coaching and leagues